[Radiance-general] The Three-Phase Method for Simulating Complex Fenestration with Radiance

Leyla Sanati leylasanati at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 13:38:08 PDT 2013

I have less than 114 sensors right now, so I used Greg's script, and it
worked perfectly.
Thank you Axel for the info. I will keep your instructions in mind for
future simulations.

Thank you all  for your help.

Leyla

On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 9:25 PM, Greg Ward <gregoryjward at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, oops!  Guess that is the way it works, not the other way around.  If
> you output into a single file as you were doing, the first 8760*3 values
> are the first sensor, the next 8760*3 are the next sensor, and so on.  A
> simple sed script should work for separating them, and you can automate
> generating the sed script using rcalc.  If you have 20 sensor, you would
> use:
>
> % cnt 20 | rcalc -e 'a=8761*$1+2;b=8761*($1+1)' -o '${a},${b}w
> sensor${recno}.txt' > sedscr.txt
> % [dctimestep command] | tr \\t \\n | sed -n -f sedscr.txt
>
> For more or fewer sensors, just change the '20' in the first line.  I
> haven't tried this, but it should work -- assuming you have tr and sed,
> that is...
>
> -Greg
>
> *From: *Leyla Sanati <leylasanati at gmail.com>
>
> *Date: *July 23, 2013 6:10:14 PM PDT
>
> *
> *
>
> Hi Greg,
>
> I added the "-o sensor%02d.txt" option to the dctimestep line, and it
> worked. But it created 8760 files for each time step rather than separating
> the sensors. Here is what I typed:
>
> dctimestep -n 8760 -o results/Venetain80/sensor%02d.txt
> results/photocells_windowglow_W.vmx xml/venetain80.xml results/windows.dmx
> Milwaukee.smx
>
> Leyla
>

> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 7:33 PM, Greg Ward <gregoryjward at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> The latest version of dctimestep allows an output specification such as
>> "-o sensor%02d.txt" to separate sensor files like you want.
>>
>> -Greg
>>
>> *From: *Leyla Sanati <leylasanati at gmail.com>
>>
>> *Date: *July 23, 2013 3:58:47 PM PDT
>>
>> *
>> *
>>
>> German,
>>
>> Thank you for your response.
>> I actually tried exporting the results to excel. However, the huge text
>> file needs some time consuming editing before the export.
>> I wonder if we could modify the scripts to pipe each sensor point data
>> into a separate file with one set of R G B values in each line.
>> This will save me a lot of time.
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Leyla
>>

>> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 3:01 PM, Germán Molina Larrain <gmolina1 at uc.cl>wrote:
>>
>>> If I understand your question correctly, I guess I would do the rest on
>>> a spreadsheet or on a script.
>>>
>>> For a spreadsheet, I would do:
>>>
>>> rlam 'Results of venetian blind' 'Results of tinted' 'results of
>>> untinted' > Results.txt
>>>
>>> rlam '!dctimestep -n 8760 results/photocells_windowglow_W.vmx
>>> xml/venetain80.xml results/windows.dmx Milwaukee.smx' '!dctimestep -n
>>> 8760 results/photocells_windowglow_C.vmx xml/tinted.xml
>>> results/clerestories.dmx Milwaukee.smx' '!dctimestep -n 8760
>>> results/photocells_windowglow_C.vmx xml/untinted.xml