[Radiance-general] useage of the dielectric material type

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 09:15:39 PST 2013

As to your third question, the transmission is a function of reflection (which is a function of angle) and the amount of dielectric material the ray has passed through, which undergoes exponential absorption with distance.  This is why transmission coefficients are given as a ratio to distance traveled, and there is a RAY struct member to hold this quantity called cext (for coefficient of extinction).  Beware that there are a few conditions under which this coefficient will not be properly accounted for, such as a surface and a light or glow source both within a refracting medium.  Since the ray never crosses any material boundary on its way to the source, it doesn't even know it's in an absorbing medium.  The same holds true for the "mist" type, which is why it's important for light sources and other significant contributors to lie outside the mist volumes.

Best,
-Greg