[Radiance-general] Glare analysis of BSDF representation of light redirecting glass

Zack Rogers zrogers at daylightinginnovations.com
Mon Jan 14 12:59:20 PST 2013

Hi Chris,

I think the higher resolution BSDF definitions, using the tensor tree
representation, will be important for accurate glare analysis.  In Andy and
Greg's presentation here:

http://www.radiance-online.org/community/workshops/2011-berkeley-ca/presentations/day1/GW3_Multires_BSDF.pdf

on page 15 it compares a Klems BSDF with a 2X and 4X version, resulting in
the glare index dropping from 9% to 2%.  They show the Klems resolution is
fine for predicting annual quantities of light.  But we should be careful,
or really just use the tensor tree versions, when using them for glare
analysis.  The 145 Klems patches just spread the lumens too much,
particularly for systems that may have a more focused or directional optic
with sharp cut-offs.

Regards,
Zack

Zack Rogers, P.E., LEED AP BD+C