[Radiance-general] Randance and different sky descriptions

Zack Rogers zrogers at daylightinginnovations.com
Thu Feb 28 13:10:45 PST 2013

Hi John, a quick comment on this study.  While I agree it is not written up
very clearly, I do believe LEED intended a "clear sky" to be an IESNA
defined clear sky that would have a solar disc included and would use the
IES standardized formulas for deriving the diffuse (via a zenith luminance)
and direct illuminances.  LEED v4.0 (yet to be released) has this new
sDA/ASE thing, have you had a chance to give that a spin?  The challenge
seems to be in simulating blind control.

Cheers,
Zack

On Wed, Feb 27, 2013 at 2:18 AM, John Mardaljevic <J.Mardaljevic at lboro.ac.uk
> wrote:

> Hi Allison,
>
> Are these tests related to using lighting simulation for compliance
> purposes, e.g. LEED 'clear sky', ASHRAE?  If so, caution is advised -- see
> sections on LEED & ASHRAE here:
>

> http://climate-based-daylighting.com/doku.php?id=academic:daylight-compliance
>
> Best
> John
>
> John Mardaljevic PhD FSLL
> Professor of Building Daylight Modelling
> School of Civil & Building Engineering
> Loughborough University
> Loughborough
> Leicestershire
> LE11 3TU, UK
>
> Tel: +44 1509 222630 (Direct)
> Tel: +44 1509 228529 (Pam Allen, secretary)
>
> j.mardaljevic at lboro.ac.uk
> http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/cv/staff/profile/367.html
>
> Personal daylighting website:
> http://climate-based-daylighting.com