[Radiance-general] Gendaylit- bad sky description

John Ford john at relume.com.au
Fri Feb 1 00:36:37 PST 2013

Hi,

Apologies for sending this again, if anyone received it, but I got a "could not send message for past 4 hours" message from the lbl.gov mail server. Hopefully this will get through.

I've run gen_yearvec.bash on an epw file which is throwing up over 500 errors, most of which seem to relate to high direct normal values. I'm getting low overall illuminance values out of dctimestep so I'm not convinced the results are truly representative of the combination of model and weather data.

Here's an example of data I've pulled out from the err file generated by gen_yearvec.bash, tested in gendaylit.

gendaylit 2 1 8.5 -a -20.27 -o -148.73 -m -150 -W 1031 44 | genskyvec -c 1 1 1 -m 1 |cut -f1 |tr '\n' ' ' >> testAirlie.vec
sky clearness or sky brightness out of range 13.563423	 0.052832
Bad sky description!

Can anyone explain how these values are out of range? I know it seems like a very high direct normal and very low diffuse horizontal, but we're in tropical north Queensland, Australia, here, under sunny skies in summer. (Well, I'm not, but the project in question is).

Thanks,

John Ford.