[Radiance-general] Understanding rtcontrib - trouble with tregenza skypatches

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 08:47:07 PDT 2013

Yes, you've no doubt identified one of the main difficulties in understanding a functional language.  Everything is defined in terms of everything else, and there's no explicit "flow" to a program, which is really just a set of equations.  Only when something is evaluated does anything happen, then whatever variables and functions that evaluation requires causes a cascade that leads to inputs that are somehow predefined in the environment.

In the case of .cal files used in a Radiance rendering, most of these variables and functions are given or described in rayinit.cal.  Similarly, the direction vector (Dx,Dy,Dz) and world position (Px,Py,Pz) variables are the ones used primarily by .cal files given on the rcontrib command line.  You will see these mentioned in the comments and main section of tregenza.cal.

The best introduction to .cal files is probably still Chapter 4 of "Rendering with Radiance," which you can order from Randolph Fritz if you don't already have a copy.

Best,
-Greg