[Radiance-general] possible inconsistency of bin numbers between BSDF and kelms_int.cal

Jia Hu hujia06 at gmail.com
Sat Oct 20 13:01:27 PDT 2012

Hi all:

In the Klems_init.cal file, for south window (using kbinS), the Klems
coordinate is defined as:

z+: pointing to inside (that is, (0,1, 0)  )
x+: pointing to West ( that is (-1, 0, 0) )
y+: pointing to Up (0,0,1)

This coordinate is consistent with the Klems coordinate system used in
WINDOW 6 (see this: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15562376/coordinate.jpg). In
the figure, Klems coordinate system defines: x or xr points to (-1, 0, 0)
and  y or yr points to (0, 0, 1).

However, if using this command to calculate view matrix:

$ rtcontrib < test.pts -f klems_int.cal -bn Nkbins -b *kbinS* -bn Nkbins -m
window_mat -I+ -ab 3 -ad 2000 -lw 1e-4 interior.oct > south.vmx

where, kbinS defines z axis in the Klems coordinate system as (0 1 0), that
is, pointing to room interior.

Thus, the bin number calculated by Klems_init.cal is actually based on z
hemisphere <https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15562376/coordinate.jpg> (the
hemisphere protrudes towards room). the bin number corresponds with
"Transmittance Front" in BSDF xml file. For example, ray direction (-1, -1,
0) (backward, ray travels from inside to outside room) hits the bin
58<https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15562376/bin.jpg>
defined in z hemisphere because the hemisphere protrudes towards (0 1 0).
 But ray direction (-1 -1 0) hits bin
46<https://dl.dropbox.com/u/15562376/bin.jpg> defined in
z reverse (i.e., zr) coordinate because the hemisphere protrudes towards (0
-1 0) (towards outside).

When calculating Daylighting Matrix, it still uses Klems_init.cal and
kbinS, that is, z hemisphere coordinate system, therefore, Radiance seems
needing to use "Transmission Front", which is defined in z hemisphere.  But
currently Radiance uses "Transmission Back" (from inside to outside), which
defined in zr hemisphere,

So, should we need to

 (a) use "*kbinN*" (defining z axis of Klems coordinate towards (0 -1 0) )
 and "Transmission Back" for south window,  or
 (b) use "Transmission Front" and *kbinS*?

 I am very confused about this. Does anyone know the possible reasons?

Thank you !

Jia