[Radiance-general] sky visibility

Patrick Janssen patrick at janssen.name
Sat Oct 20 00:45:07 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I have an urban model with many windows, and I would like to calculate %
visible sky for each window. I define a point at the centre of the window
with a viewing direction normal to the window, and I would like to
calculate how much (i.e. what %) of the sky dome is visible from that
point, assuming a 180 degree cone of vision.  Note that I do not want to
apply the cosine-law, and I want to treat each part of the sky dome
equally. For a vertical window, the maximum value should be 50%, which
would mean that there are no obstructions.

What is the best (i.e. fastest) way of calculating this?

I tried rtrace (1 bounce, uniform sky)  but that applies the cosine law. I
have been looking at rsensor, but if I have lots of windows, it seems  I
would have to run rsensor lots of times, which would be rather slow. Any
suggestions?

Patrick