[Radiance-general] Asymmetry in Daylight Factor Results and modification of UDI

Amalie Momme amaliemomme at gmail.com
Thu Oct 4 07:48:29 PDT 2012

Hi Rob and Andy,
Thank you very much for your quick answers!
@Rob: My model is a square office (A box), room depth 5 m, facade length 4
m and height 3 m. It has a window with height 1.8 m, length 2.8 m placed in
the center of the facade, with the bottom 0.9 m above the floor. The
analysis grid is placed 0.9 m above the floor parallel to the xy plane. The
location is Copenhagen, Denmark. So far, there are no exterior obstructions
in the model, but there will be in the final model as the office is in an
urban environment. When I noticed the asymmetrical DF results I thought I
might have done something wrong when building up the model, and I wanted to
fix this before creating a more complex one. The asymmetry is along the
center axis of the room, but if you say this is to be expected due to the
stochastic sampling, then I will accept the deviations and try to decrease
them by playing with the other simulation parameters Andy suggested. Thank
you for your offer regarding help with the script for OpenStudio, that is
very kind of you! However, I think I will stick to Ecotect/Daysim, and skip
the modification of the UDI for now as my experience with OpenStudio is
very limited and I have a deadline. I might return to this later for
fun though.

@Andy: Thank you very much, I will try playing with the other
parameters. (And post future Daysim questions on the Daysim mailing list
:-))

Amalie