[Radiance-general] Daylight Autonomy Benchmarks

Bayanda Mpauli bayanda at pjc.co.za
Thu Oct 4 03:52:38 PDT 2012

Dear All

I am looking for papers/research for DA thresholds related to good indoor
environmental quality that can be referenced in our South African version of
LEED and was wondering if anyone might be able to point me in the right
direction?

The Green Building Council of South Africa is considering using Daylight
Autonomy as an indicator for their Daylight Credit for the Greenstar SA
Public and Education Building Tool - our version of LEED. They currently use
DF. The credit falls under the Indoor and Environmental Quality section and
so is about the positive impact of daylight on the occupants rather than
energy savings. They have a separate glare related credit and so this does
not have to be considered within this credit.

At the moment the proposal for inclusion of DA includes the following
thresholds.

A DA of 80%  for 160lux with

1)      1 Point awarded for 30% of the occupied area

2)      2 points awarded for 60% of the occupied area

3)      3 points awarded for 90% of the occupied area

They are trying to find out from the Green building Council of Australia
(who has put the DA credit out for review in their industry and is the basis
of the South Africa credtit) where the 80% and 160lux threshold has
originated from and in the meantime have requested South Africa consultants
to review these figures to determine what threshold would be considered
appropriate and indicated of good indoor environmental daylight quality.
Something to note is that the certification is for the building being handed
over to tenants and it assumes no furniture nor portioning as that is not in
the control of the landlord - in order for it to be representative  we would
be proposing quite a low reflectance floor level to try and build in at
least some representation of what might happen in the space if a daylight
conscious tenant fitted out the space - alternatively we might up the 160
lux threshold to something higher also to accommodate for furniture.  It is
currently undefined whether it be incremental or continuous DA but I think
this will just impact on the threshold selected.

Ideally we would like to have the threshold based on some form of researched
data already performed that can then be referenced. We are not in a position
nor have the time to perform this research now. As the tools do get updated
over time, it would be possible to review the figure and align it with the
most current research or even review the applicability of DA itself and
substitute it with future indicators that are more representative of
daylight quality.

Regards,

Bayanda

BAS (UCT)

Green Star SA Accredited Professional

PJ Carew Consulting

3rd floor 71 buitengraght Cape Town 8001

tel: 021 426 4051  fax: 021 426 5050  cell: 083 335 9365

 <mailto:bayanda at pjc.co.za> bayanda at pjc.co.za    <http://www.pjc.co.za/>
www.pjc.co.za