[Radiance-general] radiance problems

Andrew McNeil amcneil at lbl.gov
Tue Oct 2 10:44:24 PDT 2012

Hi Shailan,
Radiance uses probabilistic sampling of the model, which means that sample
rays are different for each run.  You will never be able to get exactly the
same result every time, but by tightening the simulation parameters you can
reduce the difference between runs considerably.  Better simulation
parameters means longer simulation times - it's a typical tradeoff between
precision and duration (you can have noisy results quickly or precise
results tomorrow).

I suggest looking at the descriptions of simulation parameters in this
tutorial:
http://www.jaloxa.eu/resources/radiance/documentation/docs/radiance_tutorial.pdf
and those starting on page 10 of this tutorial:
http://www.radiance-online.org/learning/tutorials/radiance-primer.pdf
and playing with your results.

I'm a big fan of convergence testing of simulation parameters to build
confidence in results.  Without convergence testing I have no way of
knowing what parameters are good for a model.  John Mardaljevic did some
convergence testing in his thesis (see figure 3-26 & 3-30):
http://www.iesd.dmu.ac.uk/~jm/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=resources:mardaljevic_chap3.pdf

It also helps to look at your model interactively in Radiance with rvu to
make sure that everything is how you expect.  I think there is a version of
rvu that works on windows in the NREL radiance package:
https://openstudio.nrel.gov/getting-started-developer/getting-started-radiance

Best,
Andy