[Radiance-general] OT: A study of LCD display luminance

Randolph M. Fritz RFritz at lbl.gov
Tue May 29 16:56:51 PDT 2012

On 2012-05-25 22:56:48 +0000, Eddy Santosa said:

> Randolph,
>
> Thank you very much for sharing nice study. It's interesting results.
> Last time, I relied on the LCD manufacturer brightness specs or nit
> number to model and I was not sure whether it was a correct method.

You're welcome!

> Additionally, in your first image, may i know how you set the
> brightness setting in your computer? was it in maximum/100% brightness
> setting?

I believe I set it to full contrast and left the brightness at my usual
comfortable level.  (My notes are incomplete.  Woe, woe!)

The display is about three years old, and the fluorescent tubes in it
are dimmer than the were when it was new.  So a new one would be
somewhat brighter.

Randolph

> Thank you,
>

> Eddy Santosa
>

> On Fri, May 25, 2012 at 3:22 PM, Randolph M. Fritz
> <RFritz at lbl.gov> wrote:
> For a simulation, I wanted to include some LCD displays.  Problem was,
> I didn't know how bright they actually were.  So I did an HDR
> photographic study of mine.  I thought some of you might be interested,
> so I've put it up online.  If you are interested, you can see the
> results here:
>  http://elad.lbl.gov/index.php/Interior_Applications/Display_Luminance/L226W
>
> --
> Randolph M. Fritz