[Radiance-general] Louvered skylights simulation

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Thu Mar 1 10:57:31 PST 2012

Hi Stefano,

I did not use a graphical user interface, but embedded my scripts'
output into the scene files.

I guess you are aware that Radiance will expand any line starting with
"!command" by the output of the programm "command".

So e.g. having a line "!genSkylight.pl $SIMTIME" you would have
"genSkylight.pl" called when you pass the scene into oconv. Assuming
$SIMTIME is set to the date and time that you want to simulate, your
script could generate the geometry for the skylight and write it to
stdout. If you also have a line "!gensky $SIMTIME" (plus the other
gensky options) somewhere in your scene, you would make sure that the
sky model matches the skylight's configuration. In the end, you would
simply export the environment variable $SIMTIME and call rad scene.rif
to run the simulation. This could e.g. happen in a loop to go through a
full day.

Of course there is a bunch of specialized programs out there, some with
a nice GUI, using Radiance as a back-end. I still wanted to draw your
attention to the fact that it is very easy to add this kind of "dynamic
objects" to your scene using command expansion.

I do not know about Daysim+Python, maybe others on the list can comment.

Cheers, Lars.