[Radiance-general] Current practice for LEED sky modelling?

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 11:20:30 PDT 2012

I wish I had more to offer to this conversation.  Gensky was written some aeons ago before IESNA updated their standards.  I'm not familiar with the later standards, though I probably have them in my files somewhere...

The bottom line is that the zenith luminance calculation in gensky is based on a turbidity & luminance study published back in the 70's (I think) and hasn't been changed.  The general assumption was that anyone who cared about absolute levels would input their own zenith value, which is still the recommended practice when working from a weather tape or the the like.  Honestly, I didn't realize people were relying on the turbidity-estimated luminance anymore.

I would have no objection to a volunteer updating the zenith luminance calculation in gensky if that's what people want.  Adding the new sky types would probably be of even greater interest, though that might exacerbate the already sticky issue of choosing which sky model is appropriate.  This is why a general sky model like Perez is usually preferred.  I don't really have time to dig into the new standard and sort it all out.

Cheers,
-Greg