[Radiance-general] Current practice for LEED sky modelling?

Zack Rogers zrogers at daylightinginnovations.com
Tue Jun 19 10:23:11 PDT 2012

Hi Lars, Rob,

>From what I understand, gensky produces accurate CIE sky descriptions
according to the older definitions of 3 different sky types (clear, partly
cloudy, and cloudy) - but does not include definitions for the newer CIE
standard that has 15 different sky types derived from 5 different
parameters (A-E).  For the older CIE sky types, I am not clear on what
gensky uses to predict the magnitude (zenith luminance, Lz) but from what I
have seen it does not match the methodology that the IESNA lays out for
predicting Lz.  With gensky alone I might get around 70,000 lux on a sunny
summer day where as the IESNA guidelines would predict around 100,000lux.
 This is the reason I wrote a IES_gensky.py python script, it produces the
same CIE sky distribution functions (adopted by IESNA) but also uses IESNA
guidelines to determine Lz based on some lookup tables.  I recall some
babbling from me on this topic around when I developed this:

http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/2003-October/001074.html

http://www.radiance-online.org/pipermail/radiance-general/2003-October/001090.html

IES_gensky.py and a corresponding IES_skybright.cal are part of all the
SPOT releases and I would be happy to send them along individually (not
sure I can attach to an e-mail to the group).  So I use this script to
define an IESNA standard clear sky with a sun (I agree that although likely
vague in the manual, a sun is supposed to be part of the clear sky calc)
and do my LEED calcs with that sky.  When I have looked at weather data and
very clear sky days, the illuminance seems to match this IESNA clear sky
model fairly well.

I have also never had this part of the calc questioned on LEED reviews.

Cheers,
Zack

Zack Rogers, P.E., LEED AP BD+C
Daylighting Innovations, LLC