[Radiance-general] BSDF xml into Radiance

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Wed Jul 25 01:18:42 PDT 2012

Hi Andy, hi list-subscribers,

I just came across this recent message about the usability of the bsdf
material type with patch-based models of the sky including direct sun
and complex fenestration. To avoid misunderstandings, I will try a short
summary for others to comment on available options for annual
simulations with complex glazing:

1) classic radiance tools (rpict, rtrace), complemented by mkillum to
relax ambient setting.

Advantages: low noise, validated.

Disadvantages: very slow for annual simulations, no support when
non-planar specular reflective surfaces are involved.

2) rtcontrib and patch-based model.

Advantages: faster for annual simulations.

Disadvantages: noise, nice images require high (slow) -ad and cannot be
optimized using mkillum, limitations about specular non-planar
reflectors apply.

3) rtcontrib and patch-based model, bsdf.

Advantages: support for non-planar reflectors, should be slightly faster
then 2) as the fenestration system does not have to be traces internally
- did anyone compare?

Disadvantages: still high -ad settings required leading to extended
rendering times and still no way to get mkillum in, tends to
underestimate direct sun (according Andy's message).

4) three-phase-method.

Advantages: very fast, can also be used with non-planar specular
reflectors as bsdf data is supported.

Disadvantages: requires quite a lot of set-up work, e.g. subdivisions to
reflect external obstructions. Patches visible in the results,
fenestration geometry is not visible.

5) pmap.

Advantages: can be used with non-planar reflectors and multi-peak
transmission.

Disadvantages: unknown status (any news?), not integrated with rtcontrib
(contributions would need to be rendered manually).

So if I need a way to generate images with visible fenestration
geometry, the only reliable option would be 2), which requires very
hight settings for -ad and thud will still be rather time-consuming, if
noise is to be controlled.

Cheers, Lars.