[Radiance-general] Problem whith file.oct

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Thu Jul 19 06:22:00 PDT 2012

Hi Imène,

I would propose to have a look at Axel's unix tutorial for Radiance
users. You can append directories to the PATH (or RAYPATH) variable
using colons, in bash, the syntax would be:

export RAYPATH=$RAYPATH:newsubdir:anothersubdir:currentdir

What happens is that the variable RAYPATH (left hand) is set to the
string on the right hand. That string is consisting of the current
content of RAYPATH (that is why you place the $ at its beginning) plus
the remaining line. The colon is used as a separator for directories.

The syntax is the same as for other environment variables. The most
popular example would be the PATH variable, which is the search
directory for executable (program) files.

Environment variables are kept while you keep a session, e.g. a terminal
window, open. If you want the changes to be permament, you can use your
shell's configuration file. For bash, that would be e.g. .bashrc (a
hidden file in your home directory). I tend to set the RAYPATH at the
beginning of a simple script, which than calls rad. There are many
options, again Axel's tutorial is probably a good starting point.

Cheers, Lars.