[Radiance-general] about file *.vf in radiance software

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Tue Jul 17 13:12:18 PDT 2012

On 7/17/12 2:53 PM, "Axel Jacobs" <jacobs.axel at gmail.com> wrote:

>Just to add to Jack's and Thomas' replies to your question...
>
>For external views, a good start is to first run
>$ objview scene.mat scene.rad etc
>
>objview takes the material and scene files, adds a few light sources,
>compiles an octree, and then calls rvu. Now use 'pivot' (and the other
>rvu commands to move around the model. Once you have a good view, save
>it like this from the rvu prompt:
>: view views/nice.vf
>: q

Just to add to Axel's addition, I recently ported objview from csh to Ruby
so that Windows users can have access to this rather useful utility. I
also added in the old 'ltview' (luminaire viewer) functionality that I
wrote many years ago, which was simply a modified version of objview. It's
sitting on a far back burner and just needs some more testing. The hope is
it can be added to the Radiance source tree and built into the NREL
installers, but failing that we'll just offer it as a download on the
OpenStudio website when it's done. If anyone wants to beat on it, I can
send you a copy offline for now.

- Rob