[Radiance-general] practical question about radiance

Jack de Valpine jedev at visarc.com
Mon Jul 16 07:51:55 PDT 2012

Hi Imene,

There are several way to accomplish this. If we assume that you have a
separate file for your chair object called "simple_chair.rad" with its
origin at the lowest point midway between the front legs and facing
along positive X (for example), here are a few ways to place the chair
or multiple copies of the chair in your scene.

In a new file called "scene_chairs.rad" you could use  xform as follows:

    !xform -rz 90 -t 10 0 0 simple_chair.rad
    !xform -rz 270 -t 10 5 0 simple_chair.rad

This should place two chairs (simple_chair.rad) 5 units apart from each
other in Y located 10 units from the origin in X.

However if you are going to do lots of repeated instances of the chair,
it would be better to use real octree instances as these will save on
memory. To do this you need to do the following:

Step 1: compile the chair object into a frozen octree - assumes that the
materials are in a separate file

        oconv -f mats.simple_chair.rad simple_chair.rad > simple_chair.oct

        NOTE that this creates what is known as a "frozen" octree which
        basically means that the materials and geometry are all compiled
        together and changes to any of the base rad files will NOT
        effect the octree....

Step 2: create a file called - "simple_chair.instance.rad" and input the
following

        void instance my_simple_chair_instance
        7 simple_chair.oct -s 1.0 -t 0.0 0.0 0.0
        0
        0

Step 3: place your chair object (for example in scene_chairs.rad):

    !xform -rz 90 -t 10 0 0 -a 20 -t 2.5 0 0 simple_chair.instance.rad
    !xform -rz 270 -t 10 5 0 -a 20 -t 2.5 0 0 simple_chair.instance.rad

assuming that I did this correctly this would create 2 rows (offset by
10 units in X from the origin) of 20 chairs each facing each other at a
distance of 5 units in Y.

I hope this helps.

-Jack

--