[Radiance-general] Error: "X connection to .... broken (explicit kill or server shutdown)

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Thu Jul 5 00:11:44 PDT 2012

Hi Michael!

On Thu, 2012-07-05 at 08:59 +0200, Michael Bannert wrote:

> @Thomas: Yes, the error only occurred when closing the window. But
> there was an error beep when the window opened that made me wonder.
(...)
> For the time being, I think I will just proceed with the tutorial and
> assume that this problem does not specifically affect the behavior of
> Radiance.

As mentioned before, while it should not give that warning, there is no
functional problem caused. Objline with x11meta is a way to get a quick
wireframe preview of objects, mostly used for debugging. If you want to
keep those previews e.g. for printout or archiving, you can pipe the
output to psmeta instead. This will hopefully not result in other
problems. And as others mentioned, for shaded previews, you can use rvu
- which is using the raytracing code and allows to use all those
parameters you may set in your final renderings.

The problem is not caused by ssh, as you are working locally.

Cheers, Lars.