[Radiance-general] Plotting a large number of simulations

Randolph M. Fritz RFritz at lbl.gov
Tue Feb 28 10:04:53 PST 2012

On 2012-02-28 00:43:09 +0000, Greg Ward said:

> Hi Randolph,
>
> Is there any reason in particular for doing it this way?

An error on my part.  Ooof!

> Having a BSDF surface in front of an illum has a number of
> disadvantages, the main one being that the room cannot sample the illum
> directly.  […]

> If there is some reason you don't want to do this with a 3-phase
> method, you should include the blinds as part of your mkillum
> computation, even if that means running it multiple times for different
> blinds positions.  That way, the interior can "see" the illum source
> rather than having every source ray blocked by the blinds, which
> completely defeats the purpose of mkillum.

There's sometimes direct sun, and I thought the three-phase method
wouldn't work in that situation.  Fortunately, there are not too many
times involved (those come in the next phase of the project), so I will
do as you suggest and roll the blinds into the mkillum calculation

> Does this make sense?

Yes.  Thank you.  You've saved me from a huge mistake and a lot of lost time.

Randolph