[Radiance-general] Plotting a large number of simulations

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 16:43:09 PST 2012

Hi Randolph,

Is there any reason in particular for doing it this way?  Having a BSDF surface in front of an illum has a number of disadvantages, the main one being that the room cannot sample the illum directly.  You would be better off doing a 3-phase calculation where the exterior-to-sky matrix were computed once using rtcontrib, and the interior-to-image matrix in another precalculation.  Then, your thousands of runs are just genskyvec and dctimestep calculations that go very quickly by substituting different blinds BSDFs.

If there is some reason you don't want to do this with a 3-phase method, you should include the blinds as part of your mkillum computation, even if that means running it multiple times for different blinds positions.  That way, the interior can "see" the illum source rather than having every source ray blocked by the blinds, which completely defeats the purpose of mkillum.

Does this make sense?
-Greg