[Radiance-general] Plotting a large number of simulations

Tim Perry tim.v2.0 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 27 14:46:33 PST 2012

This seems reasonable. I assume you have access to sufficient computing
resources. If not, read on....

If you need cheap resources recommend using Amazon's EC2 SPOT instances.
The SPOT instances are not guaranteed. However, they are cheap: you can get
the equivalent of a dual-core Intel Core 2 Duo for about 6 cents an hour
(high-CPU medium instance). You can check the prices half way down this
page: http://aws.amazon.com/ec2/spot-instances/. You can buy up to 100
virtual machines in a region. The list of regions is constantly expanding,
but I used Virginia, N. California, Ireland and Tokyo simultaneously at one
point to run 800 parallel simulations for HMG's PIER work. The cost was
reasonable and the machines are easy to start up and shut down.  I would
recommend using the "Simple Queue Service" to keep track of which model
need to be run -- it is easier to have each machine poll the queue than to
try and schedule jobs before hand and deal with the (potentially) disparate
simulation times.

Out of curiosity, how many runs are you thinking of? Have you timed each
step?

Good luck and let me know if this was helpful.

Sincerely,
Tim