[Radiance-general] Curved mirror surfaces

Dr. Roland Schregle roland.schregle at gmail.com
Wed Feb 1 17:28:15 PST 2012

On Wed, 01 Feb 2012 21:20:59 +0100, Lars O. Grobe <grobe at gmx.net> wrote:

> I quote this from time to time (Rendering with Radiance, p. 580, chapter
> 13 "Secondary light sources"):
>
> [...] "Other cases involving curved, specular reflectors pose similar
> difficulties for mkillum, and the only long-term solution seams to be
> the creation of a forward raytracing module for computing these kinds of
> illums." [...]

Hi Jill, hi Lars,

I'd like to chuck in my humble 2cents worth and point out that
abovementioned limitation is the very reason the photon mapping addon was
developed for RADIANCE. This is precisely what Jill needs. Although it
won't eliminate the tesselation artifacts, it will simulate the resultant
caustics more efficiently than virtual light sources.

RADIANCE binaries with photon mapping were available on Francesco
Anselmo's website, but appear to have been removed from the downloads.
Anyone have any recent binaries Jill could try out?

Regards,

--Roland

--
"END OF LINE" [MCP, 1982]
"It's just not right that so many things work when they shouldn't!"