[Radiance-general] Leveraging the Python language in Building Performance Simulation

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 3 17:41:31 PST 2012

Marcus

You can find some advanced scripts on Francesco's web site:

http://www.bozzograo.net/radiance/index.php?module=Downloads&func=view&cid=2&start=0

These are complete scripts that create new features on top of the Radiance
tool set. If you don't mind digging a bit you can look for the b/rad script
on his web site. It is a Radiance exporter for the 3D modeller Blender
(outdated though, won't work with the current Blender version). This
exporter has also a lot of import features and so the scripts modules show
how to read Radiance files.

As far as an "official" Radiance Python module goes there was some
discussion about it quite a while ago but that pretty much was it. I wrote
(or re-wrote) the base image class for wxfalsecolor specifically to allow a
reuse in other scripts but I don't think anyone has ever used it. I think
one of the reasons is that with Radiance even trivial scripting can go a
long way in terms of automation. Most scripts will be written quick and
dirty and don't need big complicated wrappers to serve their purpose.
Radiance encourages this because it's composed of numerous command line
tools, each with a simple task.

I don't know too much about EnergyPlus and the options to use it on the
command line. Perhaps there is not much to do about the actual calculation
part of the process and the automation comes in when the input is created
or the output is processed. In both cases a parser library for the file
formats used by EP would come in quite handy.

Regards,
Thomas