[Radiance-general] Materials definition

GROSDEMOUGE Virginie grosdemouge_v at hotmail.fr
Tue Aug 14 03:25:58 PDT 2012

Dear all,

I have already done some daylighting simulations now. However, the low
results obtained stroke me and I think that I cannot trust them. I suppose that my definition of materials is not correct. In fact, I am using Google Sketchup and Daysim in order to conduct my simulations. A daysim materials library can be imported in Sketchup. Currently, when I used the typical singleglazclear90 I have this description "void
 trans SingGlaz 0 0 7 0.9001 0.9001 0.9001 0.0000 0.0000 0.0909 1.0000".
 In order to check if I understood properly the trans definition, I
would like to know if it means that my glazing only transmits about 10%
of light inside my room? I have some difficulties to fully understand the trans definition. Nevertheless, when I try to change the
transmission parameters, the results seems to be too high... If someone could help me to understand, I would be very grateful.

In addition, I have seen that there is another way to define glazing, with the glass definition. What is the difference between these two definitions of materials? What is the simplest way to define a typical single glazing? There may be a library with examples of glazing that I could use?

I would like to thank you in advance.

Kind regards,

Virginie GROSDEMOUGE

Second-year student at ESIROI CODE (Sustainable Construction)
http://esiroi.univ-reunion.fr/
Reunion Island, France