[Radiance-general] rtcontrib results (OSX)

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Wed Oct 26 08:58:55 PDT 2011

Hi John,

Running rtcontrib is a bit tricky.  Thanks for sticking with it...

I notice a couple of things in your command line.  First, you are using the -V+ option, when I think you might want -V-.  The latter is the default (coefficients rather than partial values), and more appropriate in a DC calculation.  You might get absolute errors otherwise if your sky isn't normalized.  Second, you forgot to include the -bn option, which is very important.  This might be behind your stalls as well as the unexpected colors.  Using reinhart.cal, you are provided with the constant "Nrbins" for this setting, which is 578 for MF:2.  Here is how I would modify your command:

vwrays -ff -vf views/EIn.vf -x 800 -y 800 | rtcontrib -i -ab 4 -ds 0.05 -dj .7 -ad 4096 -lw 2e-4 -n 2 -ffc $(vwrays -d -vf views/EIn.vf -x 800 -y 800) -e MF:2 -f reinhart.cal -b rbin -bn Nrbins -V- -fo -o images/patchesEI/p%03d.hdr -m sky_glow -w octrees/top1.oct

The stalls might also be caused by running up against your open file limit.  You can try running "ulimit -n 2500" and seeing if that works before starting rtcontrib.  The default limit on open files is 256 on most systems.

Good luck!
-Greg