[Radiance-general] Daylighting metric for outdoor spaces

John Mardaljevic jm at dmu.ac.uk
Wed Nov 30 08:26:40 PST 2011

Hi Mostapha,

> For an urban design study I wanted to avoid measuring light levels inside the buildings as far as possible.

How about using cumulative values, say annual or maybe monthly?  You could also look at just the hours of occupancy.  Some examples here:

http://www.iesd.dmu.ac.uk/~jm/doku.php?id=academic:urban-solar

The image for London clearly shows the effect of tall buildings reducing the ground level cumulative illuminance (actually, irradiance in the legend but just x 100 to estimate klux-hrs / yr).

Best
John

Reader in Daylight Modelling
Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development
De Montfort University, The Gateway, Leicester, LE1 9BH, UK
Tel: +44 (0) 116 257 7972

jm at dmu.ac.uk
http://www.iesd.dmu.ac.uk/~jm
http://dmu.academia.edu/JohnMardaljevic