[Radiance-general] modelling software

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Fri May 20 12:58:26 PDT 2011

Hi...

it is slightly off-topic if we start to list all software able to export
obj, dxf, 3ds, or any of the formats supported by Radiance ;-)

> Other tools: Free - Blender, but the UI is 20 years old and it takes a
> long time to learn.

Takes a while to learn, but the UI is just brandnew...

> AutoCAD is widely used in architectural practice,
> but the full version is expensive, the 3D modeling capabilities are
> cranky, and the student versions are limited in ways that may interfere
> with simulation work. Still, if you have it, you might give it a try.

IMHO the main problem of most Autodesk products is that the company
distributing these spends more time in locking export features then
developing new ones. I remember the days when obj, 3ds, ... export was
standard in Autocad. Today, you cannot export anything except propietary
formats as far as I know.

> Anyone used Revit, Microstation, or Bentley with Radiance?

Microstation (which is by Bentley) a long time ago. My favourite for a
long time has been formZ, as it combines CAD and modelling capabilities
plus is strong in export. Besides, of course, you can use Maya, Houdini,
Archicad, Vectorworks, any tool out there offering just the most basic
export features for 3d.

Cheers, Lars.