[Radiance-general] Running multiple rpict commands for different scenes

Sotiris Papantoniou sotos.enveng at gmail.com
Wed May 18 03:29:50 PDT 2011

Hello Lars and Christopher,

My idea is to run many simulations, for now up to 1200, in order to create data for a fuzzy system.  I have many simulations because I have a glass part of a building which has 4 sets of blinds which are autonomously controlled. If I am thinking correctly when the angle of each blind changes we have a new scene, which is separately simulated. For each scene I am running a new rpict command to see the result. I found out that in the University we have a grid-computer which is working on Linux. From the grid-computer web-site I read the following:

Translators

*	C (gcc 4.1.2 <http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/>   gcc44  4.4.0)
*	Fortran77  <http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/languages/fortran/> & 98 (gfortran 4.1.2 gfortan44 4.4.0)
*	C++ <http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/gcc-3.4.6/gcc/>   (g++  4.1.2  g++44 4.4.0)
*	Java <http://java.sun.com/>   (jdk 1.6.0  gcj   4.1.2)
*	Python <http://www.python.org/>   2.4.3

Data bases

*	MySQL 5.0.77 <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/>

Computational Systems

*	Matlab 7.9.0 <http://www.mathworks.com/products/matlab/>
*	Octave 3.0.5 <http://www.gnu.org/software/octave/about.html>
*	R-2.12.2 <http://www.r-project.org/>

*	Management systems and grid operations
*	TORQUE 2.3.6 <http://www.clusterresources.com/products/torque-resource-manager.php>
*	openMPI 1.4.1 <http://www.open-mpi.org/>
*	maui 3.2 <http://www.clusterresources.com/products/maui/>

This is the software of the grid. So I was thinking, to install Radiance on the grid and run the commands from it. So my main question is if I can use radiance on a grid-computer, and If I use the advantage of the grid by running in parallel the same command.

For now, since I was in a hurry to get some results, I am creating the combinations in Matlab and I am running rpict from DOS. I know it is old but I for now I have in the University only an Win OS computer.

I hope I managed to give you some details. If not please tell me so, in order to reply again.

Thank you in advance for your time

Sotiris