[Radiance-general] Radiance 4 can't be installed correctly on Mac OS X

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at googlemail.com
Thu May 12 06:59:52 PDT 2011

Ji

First of all if you don't have a compelling reason to install Radiance from
source I wouldn't do it. Greg provides binaries for OS X which work just
fine and don't require you to fiddle with compilers.

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 7:05 AM, Ji Zhang <hope.zh at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Radiance experts,
> I can't install radiance 4 correctly on a Macbook Pro (OS X 10.6.7):
> I downloaded Radiance 4 from:
> http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/dist/rad4R0all.tar.gz
> I unzip the file as a folder "ray".
>
> I use the following command to install:
> sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib
> sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib/ray
> cd ~/ray
> sudo ./makeall install clean

You should also create a folder "/usr/local/bin" for the binaries if you go
with the defaults. That's where the script would try to copy the binaries to
after the build.

However, I got the following errors during installation:

>         RADIANCE 4.0 INSTALLATION
>
> This script rebuilds all of the Radiance programs and installs
> them on your system.  You should read the file README before running
> this script.  You can type ^C (followed by return) at any time to abort.
>
> You must first answer the following questions.
>
> What is your preferred editor [vi]?
> Where do you want the executables [/usr/local/bin]?

If you wanted a non-standard path for your installation you can specify it
here. I. e. you could use a folder in your home directory.

> [...]

> Where do you want the library files [/usr/local/lib/ray]?

Install library files now [n]? y
> Copying library files to /usr/local/lib/ray... Done.
>
> [...]
>
> New rmake command -- running "makeall clean"...
> ~/ray/src/common ~/ray/src
> In directory common...
> make: Command not found.

As John wrote you're missing the developer tools from the Xcode bundle. You
can install these from the CD or download from Apple.

> [...]
> /usr/local/bin/rmake: line 2: exec: make: not found
> ~/ray/src
> There were some errors.
>

> It seems no Radiance commands are installed in /usr/local/lib, and I have
> to use sudo cp * /usr/bin to manually copy the precompiled Radiance
> executables (downloaded from
> http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/dist/rad4R0_macosx.tar.gz) into /usr/bin.

You can keep the Radiance tools in "/usr/bin" but it seems a bit messy to
mix them up with all the OS X system binaries. I prefer to use
"/usr/local/bin"

Regards,
Thomas