[Radiance-general] Radiance 4 can't be installed correctly on Mac OS X

Ji Zhang hope.zh at gmail.com
Thu May 12 05:05:54 PDT 2011

Dear Radiance experts,

I can't install radiance 4 correctly on a Macbook Pro (OS X 10.6.7):

I downloaded Radiance 4 from:
http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/dist/rad4R0all.tar.gz

I unzip the file as a folder "ray".

I use the following command to install:
sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib
sudo mkdir /usr/local/lib/ray
cd ~/ray
sudo ./makeall install clean

However, I got the following errors during installation:

        RADIANCE 4.0 INSTALLATION

This script rebuilds all of the Radiance programs and installs
them on your system.  You should read the file README before running
this script.  You can type ^C (followed by return) at any time to abort.

You must first answer the following questions.

What is your preferred editor [vi]?
Where do you want the executables [/usr/local/bin]?
Do you understand and accept the terms of this agreement [n]? y

Please select your system type from the following list:

    1)    Sun Solaris
    2)    Linux
    3)    MacOS X
    4)    FreeBSD
    5)    Cygwin
    6)    Other

Choice? 3
Where do you want the library files [/usr/local/lib/ray]?
Install library files now [n]? y
Copying library files to /usr/local/lib/ray... Done.
Current rmake command is:
#!/bin/sh
exec make "SPECIAL=ogl" \
    "OPT=-O2" \
    "MACH=-DBSD -DNOSTEREO -Dfreebsd -I/usr/X11R6/include -L/usr/X11R6/lib"
\
    ARCH=Intel "COMPAT=" \
    INSTDIR=/usr/local/bin \
    LIBDIR=/usr/local/lib/ray \
    ESUFFIX= \
    CC=cc CONFIGURE_ARCH=i386 "$@" -f Rmakefile
Do you want to change it? n
New rmake command -- running "makeall clean"...
~/ray/src/common ~/ray/src
In directory common...
make: Command not found.
~/ray/src
~/ray/src/rt ~/ray/src
In directory rt...
make: Command not found.
~/ray/src
~/ray/src/meta ~/ray/src
In directory meta...
make: Command not found.
~/ray/src
~/ray/src/cv ~/ray/src
In directory cv...
make: Command not found.
~/ray/src
~/ray/src/gen ~/ray/src
In directory gen...
make: Command not found.
~/ray/src
~/ray/src/ot ~/ray/src
In directory ot...
make: Command not found.
~/ray/src
~/ray/src/px ~/ray/src
In directory px...
make: Command not found.
~/ray/src
~/ray/src/hd ~/ray/src
In directory hd...
make: Command not found.
~/ray/src
~/ray/src/util ~/ray/src
In directory util...
make: Command not found.
~/ray/src
~/ray/src/cal ~/ray/src
In directory cal...
make: Command not found.
~/ray/src
Removing library archives...
rm: No match.
Done.
Making programs...
~/ray/src/common ~/ray/src
In directory common...
/usr/local/bin/rmake: line 2: exec: make: not found
~/ray/src
~/ray/src/rt ~/ray/src
In directory rt...
[...]
There were some errors.

It seems no Radiance commands are installed in /usr/local/lib, and I have to
use sudo cp * /usr/bin to manually copy the precompiled Radiance executables
(downloaded from http://radsite.lbl.gov/radiance/dist/rad4R0_macosx.tar.gz)
into /usr/bin.

Can anyone kindly point out why Radiance is not installed correctly in this
case and suggest a solution?

Thank you!
Ji