[Radiance-general] mirror specular reflections

Chris Coulter Chris.Coulter at smithgroup.com
Wed May 11 12:16:24 PDT 2011

Good day list.
I'm trying to test various materials for use in a light shelf. Currently, I'm testing a simple box (genbox wall room 10 10 10 -i) with south wall removed and the floor's material set to a "mirror" or variations of "metal". My gensky definition is: gensky 03 21 9 +s -a 39.7 -o 105.2 -m 105, which places direct sun on both the floor and west wall.
When viewing the octree in rvu, there is no specular reflection from the floor with either mirror or metal (with 0 roughness). However, a metal with small roughness has some scattered reflection. I've tried changing parameters on many of the rpict options to try to solve the issue, but have had no luck.
I'm currently running a HEAD distro from early January this year. About 15 months ago, I was able to get specular reflections from a mirror (similar study) from the 4R0.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Chris M. Coulter, LC, IESNA, LEED AP
Associate
Lighting Designer
President, Detroit Section of the Illuminating Engineering Society

SmithGroup
500 Griswold, Suite 1700
Detroit, MI 48226

t 313.983.3600