[Radiance-general] how to generate a customized cumulative sky based on an arbitrarily defined sky brightness formular?

Ji Zhang hope.zh at gmail.com
Tue Mar 15 11:13:21 PDT 2011

Dear Radience experts,

suppose I have a formular which defines the luminance of a point (L) in the
sky according to it's solar altitude and solar azimuth:

L = f(altitude, azimuth)

how to generate a sky file which describes the cumulative sky brightness
distribution pattern based on this formular.

I roughly know that gencumulativesky.exe can only take weather file as input
to create a .cal file which will be cited in the .sky file to generate the
cumulative diffuse radiation distribution pattern.

But can we write our own sky.cal file to define the rationle to determine
sky radiance or luminace distribution pattern? and How to do that?

e.g. what if the sky brightness pattern is something like a checkerboard
pattern with black and white patches arranged in alternating way?

Thanks!

Ji