[Radiance-general] Problem with Metal Roughness Parameter

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Tue Mar 15 09:24:11 PDT 2011

Hi Kevin!

> I'm having a problem with the metal material when it is both highly
> specular and rough. In my room model, I have a vertical array of
> specular louvers at the top of a glazed facade which bounce light onto
> the ceiling.
(...)
> The problem I'm seeing is that as I increase the roughness of the metal
> ceiling from 0 (I've tried 0, .125, .2, and .9) the total amount of
> light in the room increases significantly.

I am just following your textual description as such:

1) direct sunlight gets specularly reflected from louvers to ceiling

2) light gets reflected from ceiling to sensor (and you have a very high
specular reflectance of .95)

As long as the sun is not perfectly aligned perpendicular with your
facade, you will probably also have some diffuse reflection over the
wall, but that should not cause these effects.

Is it that surprising?

In case of zero roughness, all light reflected by the ceiling probably
hits the back wall. Your sensor should probably only get hit by light
reflected of the back wall (if there is any), light from the sky and
maybe scattered light from the louvers.

In case of higher roughnesses, the distribution after the reflection on
the ceiling gets wider - less light reaches the back wall, more light
reaches the sensor. Seen from below, the ceiling would appear brighter
(unless you are at the exact sun position where the sun would get
reflected at by a mirror-like ceiling).

All this can be visualized by holding a mirror, a scattering mirror and
a piece of paper in front of a (small) lamp in a dark room. The mirror
will appear black - unless you find the exact one position where light
gets reflected straight into your eyes. The scatter mirror will appear
brighter when seen close to the mirror angle, paper will appear bright
at any angle.

My guess that this is all the reason for your observation. Am I right?

Cheers, Lars.