[Radiance-general] OS Compariton (WAS:Re: rad -n and -N parameters / switches)

Randolph M. Fritz RFritz at lbl.gov
Tue Jun 28 09:20:59 PDT 2011

It would have to be tried, of course.  That's why I say we would need
resources for it.

Randolph

Ref: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772343.aspx

On 2011-06-27 12:27:55 -0700, Guy Vaessen said:

> Hi Randolph,
>
> Great thinking! I like the idea already!
>
> But could you give a bit more information?
>
> > It might be possible to get full Radiance going under Windows 7
> > Ultimate, which has a Unix emulation environment.
>
> Are you referring to SFU (Windows Services for Unix, or SUA or Interix,
> or how its called now)?  SFU has an (old) gcc compiler. (See:
> http://suacommunity.com/SUA.aspx) (other tools are in the warehouse or
> developer packages).

That's a really useful link.  In any event, there's a new version of
the SUA in Windows 7.  MS claims support for fork()/exec() and
fcntl()/F_SETLKW.  If these claims for compatibility (and some others)
are valid, full Radiance will operate in the Windows 7/Windows Server
2008 SUA.  (See
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc772343.aspx)

> > However, doing this
> > requires development time and the purchase of a copy of Ultimate and
> > possibly a copy of the MS Visual Studio suite as well.
>
> Why would you need MSVC? As far as I know MSVC only compiles win32 (or
> win64) code, so no Unix, no fork and no NSF.

MS says that MSVC can be used with the SUA, though perhaps is not
necessary...or perhaps it is.  It would be very hard to get gcc
problems fixed in that environment.

Randolph