[Radiance-general] [help] Does the "direct horizontal irradiance" in GenCumulativeSky mean the "direct normal radiation" in .epw weather file?

Jia Hu hujia06 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 12:38:59 PDT 2011

Hi,

I am not familiar with this program. I just skim its code. This program use
Horizontal Irradiance values, Not normal. In its "cPerezSkyModel.cpp" file,
you can see this:

if (m_SolarAlt > 0)
Ibn=Ibh/sin(m_SolarAlt);

It converts "direct horizontal" (lbh) to "direct normal" (lbn) and then use
lbn in other parts in this class.It is better to re-calculate "Direct
horizontal irra" which would be served as an input

Another option is to revise some parts of the code. Change the above code to
the follows and rebuild to get a new .exe file:

if (m_SolarAlt > 0)
Ibn=Ibh;

In your input weather file (txt), the first column is "global horizontal"
and the second column is "direct normal". Then you set -G option in its
command.

I have not tested the second method.

Best,

Jia