[Radiance-general] rtcontrib - setting maximum number of open files on OSX 10.6.8

Michael Martinez michael at coolshadow.com
Wed Jul 20 13:14:56 PDT 2011

Thanks a bunch for the replies so far.

Jack - OSX doesn't seem to have a limits.conf configuration file...

David - switching the .bash_profile line in my home folder from "ulimit -S -n 4096" to "ulimit -n 4096" didn't make the change..

Andy - thanks for the sudo explanation - that makes sense as to why it's not making the change. I do have admin privileges, but for some reason I still can't get ulimit to change the limit over 1024.

Oddly enough, I can get ulimit to lower the maximum number of open files, something like ulimit -n 512 works fine and changes the setting. What I can't do is then increase back to 1024 - I get the 'operation not permitted' message. When I restart my machine, the limit returns to 1024. I can use ulimit and lower it to 1023, but even when I try ulimit -n 1025, I still get the message:
bash: ulimit: open files: cannot modify limit: Operation not permitted