[Radiance-general] rtcontrib - funky error when using -n

Michael Martinez michael at coolshadow.com
Wed Jul 20 12:01:02 PDT 2011

Hi List -

I have two questions related to rtcontrib. I'll send two messages for separate discussion threads.

The first is about multi-core runs and a strange error, the second about setting the maximum number of open files on OSX.

Multi-core runs question:
The following command uses 8 processors and successfully generates a bin of 578 .hdr images based on test.oct made of scene geometry, material descriptions and an isotropic sky:

vwrays -ff -vf view.vf -x 800 -y 800 | rtcontrib -n 8 -ab 3 -ad 4000 -as 1000 -dt .05 -ds .1 -dc .17 -lw 9e-19 -e MF:2 -ffc $(vwrays -d -vf view.vf -x 800 -y 800)  -f reinhart.cal -b rbin -o bin/%0d.hdr -m sky_glow  -w tmp/test.oct

For some reason, one of the bin images is funky (381.hdr in this case) and when I try to do anything with it I get a read error. Example:
pvalue -o -h -H 381.hdr > test.txt
pvalue: read error

I found that I can still view the bad image with ximage, and here the error shows up. The image is shifted 82 pixels to the left, with the clipped pixels placed on the right side of the image.

I re-did the simulation using the exact same command but with just one processor (no -n option) and everything works out fine and dandy. Has anyone else encountered this kind of oddity with multi-core runs and rtcontrib?

Thanks!

Michael