[Radiance-general] [help] how to get short-wave and long-wave solar radiation value?

Ji Zhang hope.zh at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 20:41:57 PDT 2011

Dear Radiance experts,

May I ask whether it's possible to "isolate" the contribution of short-wave
and long-wave solar radiation using Radiance?

One of our colleagues wants to get these values for the calculation of "mean
radiant temperature" for the purpose of analyzing the implications of urban
geometries on thermal comfort.

Correct me if I'm wrong, the irradiation value obtained in Radiance is the
total solar radiation energy received on a given surface.

So, is this "total" value encompasses the full spectrum of solar radiation,
including the visible part and the short-wave and long-wave parts that are
not visible to human eyes?

If it is, then, is there a way to single out the contribution from
short-wave and long-wave radiation separately?

Clarification and advices are deeply appreciated!

- Cheers, Ji