[Radiance-general] Stadium light [was: trans material file]

Thomas Bleicher tbleicher at googlemail.com
Mon Jan 31 05:31:30 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 31, 2011 at 6:41 AM, Tim Metcalfe <tmetcalfe at kalwall.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I am looking to write a file to import in Ecotect for a 75 fc electric
> stadium light.
>
> Since electric lights are not my usual I am at a loss. Any suggestions?

Tim. I hope you are looking just for a way to import distribution data
into Ecotect.

In that case, IES is your friend. IIRC you define it as a type of
material in Ecotect. If you go through the materials you should find
some examples for "light materials" which should get you going.

If you want to roll your own IES file ...

Are you sure about this? If you have a fitting that's safety-tested
enough to go in a stadium you should be able to get an IES file. If
not I would still look for a distribution file of a similar fitting
before I start to hack together my own IES file.

If you really want to dive into it I recommend "Thinking
Photometrically (II)" by Ian Ashdown as first start:

http://www.dial.de/CMS/German/Articles/Licht/Service/Downloads/Thinking_Photometrically_II.pdf

Good luck,
Thomas