[Radiance-general] Noisy irradiance rendering from glow materials

Claus Brøndgaard Madsen cbm at create.aau.dk
Mon Jan 3 12:29:49 PST 2011

Hi Greg,

Removed -ds 0.02, replaced radius 100 with 0 in the glow materials (there are only pure glow materials in the scene, no mixtures, no diffuse), re-ran rendering (but kept 10 by 10 genbox tiled groundplane ... frankly I forgot to comment back in the old single large genbox groundplane). Rendering done in about 25 minutes on my 4 year old core duo laptop.

Bingo.jpg shows results ... just the way I always mentally pictured that it would/should.

Thanks. Also to Andy for providing an explanation on the subdivision.

This is so great 'cause now I can get on with what I needed the irradiances for ... I can hardly wait :)

In addition to being just what I was needing (and essentially have been needing since August 2010 but have been too busy to pursue) these renderings actually have a very pleasing aesthetic side to them.

Best,
Claus