[Radiance-general] Fun with multiple cores and rtrace

Greg Ward gregoryjward at gmail.com
Thu Feb 3 09:18:30 PST 2011

Hi Randolph,

We probably shouldn't jump to conclusions about CPU utilization based on how much time is attributed to each rtrace process.  Due to the way rays get assigned to processes as they finish what they've got, one rtrace process might end up using more time than another that had to wait a longer for its assignment.

One thing is certain:  you should be sharing an ambient file via the -af option if -aa is non-zero and -ab is positive.  Otherwise, your process are mostly wasting time computing values that other processes have already computed.  Rob found the same thing in the stats Jack pointed out.

Cheers,
-Greg

>>> 6592 ?        R     29:32 rtrace -n 8 -h -I @sensparm.opt ot-3.oct
>>> 6593 ?        R     29:32 rtrace -n 8 -h -I @sensparm.opt ot-3.oct