[Radiance-general] Unix emulator

Axel Jacobs jacobs.axel at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 01:22:21 PDT 2011

Dear Jun,

> Exceed is not a Unix emulator, but a X-Server. That means it can be used
> to display GUI-windows, most probably also those by Radiance. However,
> you still need to provide a rudimentary unix environment, unless you run
> the Radiance binary on a remote system and use the Xserver only for the
> Gui (e.g. by tunnelling the X-protocol through a X-session. That works
> fine with Radiance as any X-based program.

You will find a section titled 'Running Radiance on Windows' in my
'Running LEARNIX' document which you can access here:

http://www.jaloxa.eu/mirrors/learnix/docs.shtml

The instructions walk you through compiling Radiance under Windows in
a Cygwin enivironment, and also detail how to get the Xserver running.

An alternative would be to run LINUX in a virtual machine such as
VirtualBox. This will allow you to use rpiece (or, more conveniently,
rpictmt which is a wrapper around rpiece) to utilise all processor
cores for parallel rendering. I'm doing this every day because my
machine at work has Windows on it. It works rather nicely. This
approach is also explained in the same document.

Cheers

Axel