[Radiance-general] Radiance on Windows 7 Ultimate using SUA (it works!)

Randolph M. Fritz RFritz at lbl.gov
Tue Aug 2 18:57:20 PDT 2011

Guy,

Wow.  That is really wonderful news (and thank you for the credit.)
That rpiece worked at all is very cool and gives me some hope that we
can make it work consistently.

Based on this news I am hopeful that we will eventually be able to do a
proper release of Radiance for Windows Ultimate, if we can find the
time to do the work.

Randolph

On 2011-08-02 13:54:16 -0700, Guy Vaessen said:

> Hi Ji,
>
> > Wouldn't it be easier to install Radiance 3.8 or 3.9 in Win7 through
> > installing DaySim or DIVA for Rhino?
>
> Yes, you're right ofcource, that's the easy way to install Radiance! ;-)
>
> But the idea (and the credits go to Randolph actually) was to see
> how wel Radiance would do with SUA. (Subsystem for Unix based Applications).
> SUA is advertised as being Unix on Windows, with, well everything:
> fork, bash, NFS, X11 support etc.
>
> And it works very wel, today I got rvu and falsecolor running on Win 7.
> Trad doesn't work (segfaults) and rpiece only calculates 7 out of 8
> image paches (leaves one black spot),
> might have done something wrong because rpiece complained about a -pm setting.
>
> The performance also isn't bad: 32 minutes for Mark Stock's benchmark
> test on a Intel 2600K (@3.8GHz) system.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Guy

Randolph M. Fritz