[Radiance-general] BRTD Function to simulate grid mesh.

Lucio Boscolo Lucio.Boscolo at arup.com
Tue Aug 2 13:19:06 PDT 2011

Hi everybody!

I'm trying to set up a BRTD calc file but it doesn't seem to work, can somebody help me digging out how to deal with this, please?

What I am trying to do is to represent the mesh grid attached (image grid_mesh.png) with a plan, which material is a BRTD function. The reason why I am doing this is because I need to keep the model simple and easy to model parametrically. The aim is to get something similar to what is shown in picture example.tiff.

The idea is to use cutoff angles to decide whether or not light goes through the plan (as it does with the actual mesh).

In order to achieve this I set up a vertical plan and gave to it the following material definition which calls the attached cal file (mesh.cal):

void BRTDfunc test
10
1 1 1
0 0 0
test_combo test_combo test_combo
test.cal
0
9
0 0 0
0 0 0
0 0 0

But it doesn't seem to work.

I played with all sort of parameters but it seems to  behave always the same regardless of different cutoff angles declared in the calc file.

I also tried with this material definition:

void plasfunc test
2 test_combo test.cal
0
4 0 0 0 1

And it works as expected, hence, the calc file seems to work.

Any idea on what I am doing wrong or I am missing? Any idea on how to achieve the desired result?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Lucio