[Radiance-general] Three-Phase Method - subdivision of window with sensor located close to the window

Anne Iversen iversen.anne at gmail.com
Sat Apr 30 06:11:22 PDT 2011

Hi,
Maybe I was a bit fast concluding that I'll use glow. Comparing the glow
material to the light material reveals a lower sensor signal when the direct
irradiation is low and the opposite when direct irradiation is high. Do you
know why I get this? Due to the ‘subsampling’ problem of window lights as
David mentioned because of my sensor location very close to the window?? And
therefore I should stick to glow?

I have included the results from the glow simulations in the document:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9713279/ThreePhaseMethod_Subdivision.pdf
(the non-readable legends and axes must be a mac thing...the same happens
when I open the documet on my mac, I can read the graphs nicely in the pdf
on my pc. ...have included some text in the captions, if you want to know
what you are looking at ;-))

And to your question about my sensor, Andy. The sensor is located on the
window head, just behind the glass. The major detection area is to the
outside through the window. The sensor used right now comes along with the
SPOT distribution, and is the WattStopper LD290C - the spatial distribution
can be seen from the image linked to below. I wouldn't call it a
narrow/peaky/tight sensitivity distribution:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9713279/SensorSpatialResponse.png
and I have placed the .dat file here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9713279/WattStopper_LS-290C.dat
Why do you believe that using glow probably won't make much difference -
unless my sensor has a tight and/or peaky sensitivity distribution?

Enjoy the weekend. It is pre-summer in Denmark; we've had blue sky for the
last 14 days, 20C and sun ....who said I miss California?? ;-)

Best,
Anne