[Radiance-general] Help - Radiance / LEED

Ignacio Fajardo primiark at gmail.com
Sun Apr 24 14:14:59 PDT 2011

Dear Rob and Lars

Searching on internet I realize that I´m very lucky to be in the same mail
list with both of you. Let me show me respect and gratitude.

I still have a question in units to use for LEED calculations and I write
below some important data to remember:

* Robert told us to use for LEED :*

 Illuminance lm/m2 (lumens/m2)*
*

*Radiance web site :*

Radiance / Luminance (W/sr.m2, cd/m2)

Irradiance / Iluminance (W/m,lux)

*Ecotect options:*

Luminance Image (cd/m2)

Iluminance Image (lux/m2)    may be, must mean  lm/m2

* LEED requeriements :*

25 footcandle min

500 footcandle max

So, Rob and Lars I´m going to use *Iluminance image* Options on Ecotect to
have result in lux (lumens/m^2), then multiplying those values by
0.0929030436 will convert the grid values to footcandles (1lm/m2 = 0.09
foot-candle)    http://www.convertworld.com/en/illuminance/

LEED mentions that 75% of the zone must be between 25 and 500 footcandle, So
If I do the conversion (Lumens/m2) x (0.09)   that  value in the grid point
can be use to complete the % of area for LEED.

Lars you correct Rob about a mistake in theunits…

ROB: *“So, assuming you are indeed calculating illuminance, in lux
(lumens/m^2), then multiplying those values by 0.0929030436 will convert the
values to footcandles (lumens/m^2).”*

LARS: *Actually lm/ft2. You see what a mess the mixing of metric and
imperial system leads to if these typos appear even in Rob's explanation.***

… But the units still  footcandles right?  The confusion was that Rob meant
lumens/ ft2.

Guys…please confirm the information above is correct and have a look to the
website if you have time.

I will gladly take any comments.

Cheers!!

2011/4/22 Rob Guglielmetti <rob.guglielmetti at gmail.com>

> OK, I won't kill myself. Instead, I will open up a unit salad bar. Should
> make a killing.
>
> Man, that was funny, even if only to me.
>
> - Rob
>

> On Fri, Apr 22, 2011 at 2:54 AM, Lars O. Grobe <grobe at gmx.net> wrote:
>
>> Thank you Lars; I will now kill myself.
>>>

>> I think that I can ask you to review this decision on behalf of this
>> mailing list's subscribers who would really miss your insight :-)

        Jorge Ignacio Fajardo F-A
                   Arquitecto *MDCS*

iBSA - Ingeniería Blanda S.A
USGBC Member