[Radiance-general] Help - Radiance / LEED

Guglielmetti, Robert Robert.Guglielmetti at nrel.gov
Thu Apr 21 14:37:48 PDT 2011

Hi Ignacio,

What website did you visit? Because I can point you to a bunch of other websites with far nicer Radiance renderings than mine!  =)  I agree though, Radiance is nice because it gives you useful data, not just "pretty pictures".

OK, your second paragraph below is quite the unit salad. Let's sort this out as best I can, not having Ecotect to look at. You say "Ecotect give the options to calculate Radiance (luminace) cd/m2 or Irradiance (illuminance) lx/m2".  You're mixing and matching quantities here. For LEED daylighting calcs, you ultimately need illuminance. This is lumens/m^2, NOT lux/m^2.  1 Lux = 1lm/m^2. So, just make sure you are asking for illuminance.  Not irradiance, not luminance, but illuminance -- which should be in lux, or lumens/m^2. Next, you mention this node value conversion. I assume a node value is a calculation grid point. Your conversion value is correct to convert from metric units to imperial units. So, assuming you are indeed calculating illuminance, in lux (lumens/m^2), then multiplying those values by 0.0929030436 will convert the values to footcandles (lumens/m^2).

Hope this helps, I'm not really sure about any of the GUI specific questions you have because I don't use or have Ecotect.

Rob Guglielmetti  IESNA, LEED AP
Commercial Buildings Research Group
National Renewable Energy Laboratory
1617 Cole Blvd MS:RSF202