[Radiance-general] Help - Radiance / LEED

John Mardaljevic jm at dmu.ac.uk
Fri Apr 15 02:29:10 PDT 2011

Hi Zack,

Indeed, the CIE skies can be defined by diffuse horizontal illuminance
or zenith luminance. Both options of course available in gensky.  I'm
not too familiar with the procedures used to estimate sky type and
magnitude since I invariably use climate data as the basis for
defining skies.  For what it's worth, I've long believed that there
was a 'disconnect' between what the sky model researchers were doing
and what end-users might actually want, i.e. a means of selecting sky
type from basic quantities in the standardised climate files.

Even if one could claim that a particular clear sky output was
plausible, it still seems wacky to predict for a clear sky without
sun. I've updated my commentary on this with a graphic to show just
how much might be missing if you don't include the sun:

http://www.iesd.dmu.ac.uk/~jm/doku.php?id=academic:daylight-compliance#daylight_leed

> BTW - the latest public review draft of LEED 2012 goes away from
> this standard clear sky and requires the user to find the average
> hourly values between the clearest and cloudiest days within 15days
> of Sept 21 and Mar 21st. Someone must have been listening to your
> concerns!

Perhaps, half-listening.  Averages for daylighting quantities can be a
confounding notion, and often lead to contortions best left to people
who enjoy doing this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twister_(game)

Do you have actual wording from the LEED draft?

Best
John

Dr. John Mardaljevic
Reader in Daylight Modelling
Institute of Energy and Sustainable Development
De Montfort University
The Gateway
Leicester
LE1 9BH, UK